the largest of the
few Post Classic Maya Sites in
the main city of the Maya K'owoj, it was first
in the Late Classic, by nobles families from
Yaxhá, as the burial 49 shows (750
AD), there is a well documented marriage of the Lady twelve Guacamaya with
a prince from Tikal.
It was abandoned by 900 AD, and reoccupied in 1350 AD, by the K'owoj,
being finally abandoned in 1450 AD. It is located in a former island , and now a
Lagoon, in the opposite side of the Classic Maya city of Yaxhá.
49 is a remarkable one, it is of a chanting priest (due to its belongings found
there) that depicts an scene of
Xibalbá, the underworld, with an elaborated mosaic made
of sea shells, nacar and stones. Another burial nearby is from an earlier
time and contains 17 skulls of scarified children.
Topoxté means "Ramón Tree's
Itzá Maya language, this nuts nourished the Mayas during
Maize crops, the flour of this nut is rich in proteins which has a cocoa
like taste and other nutrients. (It is now being cultivated again, and its
products are exported).
Topoxté site Map,
showing Chultuns or carved
There were two other Islands at Yaxhá lagoon,
Canté, that also show
is now a peninsula, and is separated from the two former islands by the
Ixtintó river. The site shows 10 different construction phases. There are 3
distinctive groups, 2 rise platforms that required fillings of up to 5 mt., and
a low residential area, there are more than 100 structures, its Central Plaza is
surrounded by 3 Temples that show the typical Post-Classic Architectonic style
with vertical walls, columns and flat stone ceilings,
this Temples are surrounded by several "Open Saloon"
buildings, also characteristic in the
Post-Classic, you can visit this site year round,
Yaxhá, by canoe
or by car.
Cante Island Site Map
Recreation of a